[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:19:40 -0600

Paul Davis wrote:

4. Transport UST clock(?) - UST clock structure

Is (4) really necesssary? You could just pass in the current absolute UST

actually, (4) is a non-sequitur. the UST clock is monotonic and
system-wide. it is not influenced in any way by transport position.

5. Musical clock in ticks and fractions of ticks

no fractions of ticks. the tick is the "atomic" unit of musical time. there is no smaller unit. if you want to be more precise than that, you use samples or nanoseconds. (i prefer either 1420 or 2520 ticks per beat, which maximises the available factors so that divisions of the beat can be expressed in ticks without loss of accuracy. 2520 is particularly good, as tim noted yesterday).

Why do we need musical time at all? Can't a single tick of sufficient resolution cover all of our needs, musical, samples, and UST?

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems