[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:21:49 -0700 (PDT)

> > you need to move the time stamp forward or backwards, so it needs to be
> > presented a reasonably safe time span ahead of render time, or it's not
> > going to work.
>
> Thanks for a clear example, I see your point there. Some will argue that
> such a quantizer is by nature not truly realtime (how would it handle
> someone playing live events on a keyboard?), we need to decide if it's
> within the scope of GMPI to handle this.

In the case of a MIDI quantizer you have two scenarios:  quantize forward -
no problem.  Quantize backward - potential problem.  If the edge you want is
in the past, you're out of luck.  If a plugin can publish it's own latency,
the host or user can ensure that the rest of the graph stays in sync.  Then
the user can decide how far back he wants to be able to quantize.  Not
pretty, but neither is the idea of going back in time.