[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 20:12:09 +0200

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 19.37, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > So, as long as we don't make any silly assumptions, we should be
> > safe. When you compile properly written code on a 64 bit
> > platform, some things grow to 64 bits and different code is
> > generated (obviously), but that's about it. It'll still work as
> > expected, and that's all we need. (Can't expect binary
> > compatibility across platforms anyway. We're not implementing a
> > wire protocol here.)
>
> wrongo - windows 64 bit will be able to run windows 32 bit code.
> Does that mean that unsigned long is 32 bit or 64 bit?

Win32 is able to run 16 bit code. Is int 16 or 32 bit?

The answer is *both*. We are essentially talking about two platforms
in one. Almost emulation, although it doesn't actually require that,
since the x86 has multiple modes of operation.

The only relevant question is what applies to the platform you compile
for. Whether the OS supports other "modes", emulation layers and
whatnot is irrelevant.