[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:27:35 -0700 (PDT)

> So, unless someone jumps out from nowhere and attacks my arguments
> with a huge chain saw, my vote is 32 bit integer audio sample counts.

I've already said it, but I re-iterate - 32 bits is fine with me.  64 bits
is fine with me.

> Might as well be signed, although in my experience, it doesn't matter
> as long as the common operations are handled by wrapping safe macros
> or inlines. In fact, the actual value of a timestamp becomes pretty
> much irrelevant as soon as you allow wrapping, so why should anyone
> care whether it's signed or unsigned?

signedness makes wrapping harder.  I see absolutely no reason for it to be
signed.  Unless someone can show me why it needs to be signed.

I also advocate not using timestamps as offsets.  Rather as absolute
timestamps, where each process() call gets a 'now' value of the timestamp at
the start of the buffer.