[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 01:12:40 +0200

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 00.42, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > Either way, the *real* question is still whether anyone needs it.
>
> a) Does anyone need it, and if so, define it as host-defined or as
> fixed point?

Well, the second part of that question depends on the first part.

If it's just a way of getting better than sample accurate timing, I'm
not sure there is a reason not to use a hard-coded resolution. It's
definitely easier and faster. Fixed point values don't even have
problems with wrapping. Values based on arbitrary quanta do.

> I believe that leaving it to be host-defined means that we can add
> it later and not break anything.

Yeah, but I'm worried about how plugin authors will ensure that their
plugins do the right thing. It's easy to get it "right" when you
divide and multiply by 1 all the time. :-)