[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 09:06:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 May 2003, Tim Hockin wrote:

> There is another issue that has come to mind:  If the musical timeline stops
> with the transport (i.e.  no beat/bar/etc events),  plugins still need to
> track this stuff for things in tempo-sync - which could induce drift.
> Perhaps musical events need to be delivered when the transport is stopped,
> too.  Musical time does still continue, just every bar is bar0 or something
> :)

Please, no musical time events when the transport is stopped... if the
streaming session keeps going, the last tempo is honoured.

Unfortunately this means that we can't use the optimization for plugin
developers where they get an event automatically at "musically
interesting" times... unless the host simply provides tempo and
discontinuity / sync points, and the services layer provides a way for
plug developers to be notified at musically interesting times.

Regards,
        Angus.