[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 01:06:06 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Olofson" <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> IMHO, support for audio rate control data, as an optional alternative
> to events with linear ramps, would be simpler, more useful and more
> efficient than supporting non-linear ramps through helper functions.
> The big deal with timestamped events; the very reason why anyone would
> think of using them for controlling DSP code, is that they're cheaper
> than audio rate controls. Doing something that actually makes the
> shortcut more expensive than the real thing, seems... well, you get
> the idea. :-)

Appealing thoughts...
Do you really believe this would be efficient when implemented? Do you mean
"all control data should come at audio rate", or only the ones requested at
that rate?
Just asking, because i don't have any experience myself with these kinds of
things. But I like the idea, since it gets us closer to the old analog-style
"control signals as audio signals" setups...
---
Koen Tanghe @ Smartelectronix