[gmpi] Re: Time Summary (was *Ping*)

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:24:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 18 May 2003, Tim Hockin wrote:

> At first glance, the API is pretty obvious - any plugin that sends events to
> this latent plugin must send them some time-period early.  We can put that
> in the API.
> But as David points out - what of beat-synced events?  what of plugins that
> take some other realtime source (like audio) and turn them into events?  All
> of those will be latent.

So either the latency has to propagate upstream through the plugs, or the
host has to run the plugs early.

> This doesn't actually enable any plugins that weren't possible without the
> API.  What it does do is allow you to not have the latency of those plugins
> affect the whole graph.

yes... I'm still not entirely happy with this. I'd rather see a single
latency for the whole graph, not least because it makes the idea of
graphs-within-graphs much more transparent.

Regards,
        Angus.