[gmpi] Re: Time Summary (was *Ping*)

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 17:21:21 -0400

>>i'm sorry, my definition of sample-synced is "processing data for same
>>time slice". i personally see no wiggle-room there.
>>

>Sample-synced means sample-synced. It does not mean buffer-synced,
>which is what you are talking about here.

sorry, but its not. reductio ad absurdum: make the buffer 1 sample
long.  sample-synced means: all participants in the graph must be
processing data for the same timeslice, no matter what the size of
that timeslice. if you don't guarantee this, you have a system subject
to mathematical errors caused by parameter changes that occur close to
the mismatching timeslice boundaries.

>gear may very well use sample-by-sample processing (= a 1-sample
>audoio buffer /time slice), while the DAW probably uses at least
>32-sample buffers.

this isn't a counter-example. between time T and time T+X, both of
them have processed samples that cover time Y and Y+X.

>However, I think a more impportant issue is the time that it takes a
>plugin it self to respond to events. If events are sent in strict
>synchrony with the samples whe re they occur, then the plugin cannot
>do any long calculations in response to events or it mi ght miss a
>deadline. If events were sent early then the plugin could process
>them with le ngthy calculations and still never miss a deadline as
>long as the events were not too dense.

and when or how is it going to do those computations? what if a new
event arrives after the first one that invalidates the first set of
results?

--p