[gmpi] Re: Time Summary (was *Ping*)

  • From: "B.J. Buchalter" <bj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 14:34:08 -0400

And Angus wrote:
> Vincent is correct. GMPI plugins cannot respond to events received during
> a buffer-processing slice. They must always be scheduled for the next
> available slice.

That was not a question -- it was a posit. As I said in the next sentence of
my post:

"Of course not; if the user chooses to use really large timeslices,
the scheduling accuracy of realtime events will be compromised. But playback
of those events will not be because the host can schedule them into the
buffer."

The point being that the control latency constraints of processing realtime
input are clearly more stringent than the constraints of processing
timestamped events. This is what you guys were areguing with Vincent about
in the first place. I simply want the solution to extend to proxies that
support timestamps to devices that have control transport latency.

Best regards,

B.J. Buchalter

Metric Halo
M/S 601 - Building 8
Castle Point Campus
Castle Point, NY 12511-0601 USA
tel +1 845 831-8600
fax +1 603 250-2451

If you haven't heard ChannelStrip yet, you don't know what you're missing!

Check out SpectraFoo, ChannelStrip and Mobile I/O at http://www.mhlabs.com/

Download a 12 day demo from <http://www.mhlabs.com/demo/>