[gmpi] Re: Time Summary (was *Ping*)

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 05:42:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 May 2003, B.J. Buchalter wrote:

> Thus the desire to have a plug-in specify an event transport latency, to
> remove this problem.

If the event takes time to process, why not define the start of the event
as the start of the process? I don't see how a device can respond to an
event before the event has happened.

Now, there may be certain types of devices and certain types of event
(albeit a minority of cases) where it's useful to know how long the event
is going to take; it may be that we will also want meta-events to prepare
devices for those events (in other words, "watch out, I'm probably going
to send you a Program Change in a couple of blocks' time").

> Can we get a broader consensus one way or the other that this is either
> something that is not worth talking about because it is beyond the scope of
> the project, or that in fact it is worth the time because we need this or
> something like it to deal with a real situation that is likely to become
> more important as time goes on?

Can you give us some examples as to what it would be used for?

> What if a new event arrives that needs to be delivered during the current
> timeslice? It is the same thing.

How can that happen..? A timeslice is defined (i think) as having a set of
buffers and events that arrive at the beginning of said timeslice. I don't
see how a new event can arrive during the timeslice. That implies that the
plug-in's timeslice was inadequately prepared or not yet ready for
processing, or the system is not computing the latency properly. It can't
just suddenly decide midway through processing a timeslice, "hey, I gotta
do something else in response to this event". I think we're agreed that
GMPI hosts are granular in response at the timeslice - any incoming events
must be queued up for dealing with in the -next- timeslice at the
earliest.. right? Hence a GMPI system always has some defined latency
(one timeslice) in responding to events.

Regards,
        Angus.