[gmpi] Re: Time Summary (was *Ping*)

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 09:46:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 17 May 2003, David Olofson wrote:

> Both questions have the same answer: Some algorithms cannot instantly
> jump from one position in the song to another, unless they're given a
> chance to prepare in advance. The most obvious example would be hard
> disk recording playback. You have to tell the disk I/O thread about
> the jump long before it actually takes place, or the data won't be
> there when the real time audio code needs it.

OK, makes sense.

> Well, it depends on wether we care about plugins that by definition
> only work properly, or work better with sequenced data.
>
> Do note that such plugins can still have non-delayed real time
> controls! Just because a HDR needs to know about potential loop and
> jump points in advance doesn't mean it can't have real time controls.

I guess I see playback position as a "control", in a sense, and so at
least some of the controls on the plug-in cannot be regarded as being
realtime.

Anyways, from a practical point of view, if this class of cases can be
reasonably well-defined and isolated, I don't object to providing a
special interface for supporting it. The alternative is either defining
the response latency of controls (careful, this is a physical,
world-realtime latency, not a graph-realtime latency), or providing hint
events.

> Maybe, but I think we're talking about a number of slightly different
> issues here. Some may be beyond the scope of GMPI (at least 1.0), but
> I think internal latency (both controls and audio inputs) is an
> imprortant feature, and one that shouldn't cause too much trouble.

Agreed, but see my point above re the different kinds of latency. An audio
input that has latency because the plug is doing an FFT algorithm is
different to one that has latency because the data has to go across the
PCI bus to some DSP card and back.

> Providing information about loop and jump points is another important
> feature IMHO, but I don't see why it has anything to do with the
> event system or time format.

It seems to me to be very closely related to the Musical Time format, as
these jumps will reflect nonlinearities in Musical Time.

Regards,
        Angus.