[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - ramped events

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:09:32 +0100

On Friday, January 16, 2004 7:26 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why?  The things being represented (value of a MIDI controller) are
> truly, madly, deeply, not to mention naturally integers.

and

> MIDI control events is one layer, DSP math parameters is another
> layer.  Let the plug map MIDI controllers to a real-typed control if
> it wants, but the nature of MIDI controller values per se -is-
> integers. (OK, bool in some cases.)

I think I should raise my voice saying that the things that are represented
by MIDI controllers are usally NOT truly, madly, deeply and (certainly not)
naturally integer. Some are, but most are not: amount of expression, volume,
effects level, balance, pan position, etc... are NOT integer entities by
nature. Hence, I would also not want to model them as integers.
I will agree that even real values represented in a computer are discrete,
but please let's not model real values by integers from the start... If
people want to use these values in a MIDI protocol communication, they will
have to quantize them. But only then, not within GMPI.
Just my opinion though...

Koen