[gmpi] Re: Querying a plugin's structure (params, IOs, etc)

  • From: thockin@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:02:27 -0800

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 09:37:22AM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> >     char* name;
>
> Hi,
> One small request.  Windows uses 16 bit text (Unicode). ( 8-bit ASCII is
> also supported via thunking layers). I believe Linux uses 8-bit.

a char* in windows is still 8 bit, right?  The APIs all expect a
wide-char, though - is that correct?

> Would this be a good candidate for a "profile"?...

I don't think this fits under profile so much as cross-platform-ness.

> 4.41. String Encoding. All strings in GMPI should be encoded unicode
> strings. The encoding must be decided by the implementation team.
>
> Can I suggest "char" be replaced with "TCHAR" - type-of-char.  Then we
> can compile either way.

I was really hoping that we could avoid that by saying strings were UTF-8
encoded, but perhaps not.

Is it the case that all the Windows display routines expect wide-chars?
How about Mac?