[gmpi] Re: Querying a plugin's structure (params, IOs, etc)

  • From: Jeff McClintock <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:18:59 +1300

> Is it the case that all the Windows display routines expect wide-chars?

The entire Windows API (file names too etc).

> How about Mac?

I found Apple's paper about localisation.

for localising the UI...

" Strings files need to be saved using Unicode (UTF16) encoding"

..and..

Here are the major Unicode encoding methods used in Mac OS X:

UTF-8
... In Mac OS X, UTF-8 is used for routines at the lower levels of the system (BSD, NetInfo, and so on).

UTF-16
... UTF-16 encoding is generally used at higher levels of the Mac OS X system.

http://developer.apple.com/intl/resources/LocalizabilityTNv3.0.pdf

Jeff

thockin@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 09:37:22AM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:

char* name;

Hi,
One small request. Windows uses 16 bit text (Unicode). ( 8-bit ASCII is also supported via thunking layers). I believe Linux uses 8-bit.

a char* in windows is still 8 bit, right?  The APIs all expect a
wide-char, though - is that correct?

Would this be a good candidate for a "profile"?...

I don't think this fits under profile so much as cross-platform-ness.

4.41. String Encoding. All strings in GMPI should be encoded unicode strings. The encoding must be decided by the implementation team.

Can I suggest "char" be replaced with "TCHAR" - type-of-char. Then we can compile either way.

I was really hoping that we could avoid that by saying strings were UTF-8
encoded, but perhaps not.