[gmpi] Querying a plugin's structure (params, IOs, etc)

  • From: thockin@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: GMPI list <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:28:34 -0800

We've got very basic plugins that can be found and loaded.

Now how do we find out what they do?  The host has to figure out all the
control inputs, control outputs, audio inputs, audio outputs, etc.  There
are a lot of potential models, I'd like to hear some reasons to go with
one or the other or something totally different.

Remember that we need to be able to extract a lot of data:
        * control ports
          - name
          - data type
          - range
          - flags
        * audio ports
          - name
          - format
          - channels
        * nested sub-groups of the above
        * channels
        * ..and more

Some ideas I've already heard:

1) Host loops from 0 to n, asking the plugin for metadata about "thing x".
The metadata explains what each thing is.

2) Host asks for structure and gets back an XML blob that represents
everything.

What else?  What makes the most sense?  What will be easy to program and
easy to expand?

Tim