[gmpi] Re: Querying a plugin's structure (params, IOs, etc)

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 15:11:21 -0800

There's a significant cultural bias in 8-bit-char thinking. Think of people who might want to use Asian languages for patch or parameter names, etc.

        -- Chris G.

Note
that this is a portability prroblem, too. ... Routines like strcpy all need
to be sepcial-cased.

Can we simply say that GMPI keeps all strings in UTF-8 and that conversion
is the responsibility of the host?

It's not that simple. You can't treat UTF-8 like ascii, it's a multi-byte char set. strlen() etc will fail.
Multi-byte string handling can be 10 to 100 times slower than the fixed-size alternatives.

Even on Linux, It's better to use wchar_t internally, and use C library functions to convert to external character encodings. That gives us UTF-8 support plus 'free' support for language-specific extensions to ASCII like shift-JIS (Japan) or ISO 8859 (Europe).

I suggest we use wchar_t exclusively to provide the best cross-platform support, the same plugin code on Linux and PC. String manipulation is simple and fast. No special cases.

Jeff