[gmpi] Re: Querying a plugin's structure (params, IOs, etc)

  • From: thockin@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:45:27 -0800

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 10:18:59AM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> > Is it the case that all the Windows display routines expect wide-chars?
>
> The entire Windows API (file names too etc).
>
> > How about Mac?
>
> UTF-8
> ... In Mac OS X, UTF-8 is used for routines at the lower levels of the
> system (BSD, NetInfo, and so on).
>
> UTF-16
> ... UTF-16 encoding is generally used at higher levels of the Mac OS X
> system.

Can we simply say that GMPI keeps all strings in UTF-8 and that conversion
is the responsibility of the host?

So, for example, a Windows host that wants to use Win32 APIs would get a
UTF-8 char* from a plugin, convert it to <whatever>, and display it?

Or do we really need to force all Windows plugins to use wide chars?  Note
that this is a portability prroblem, too.  If I want a plugin to build on
both Windows and Linux, I need to be careful about any time I use strings,
because they might be in one of two forms.  Routines like strcpy all need
to be sepcial-cased.

Tim