[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 8.3

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 23:20:53 +0100

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 02:53:46 -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
> >I see a need for
> >
> >float - many normal params
> >double - high res params
>
> Could those two be collapsed into just one or the other?  Smells a
> bit redundant from a parameter perspective.

Agreed, but I also think that int should be collapsed into one floating
point type, I feel there is some extra simplicity from handling integer
values as a hinted float type, eg. automation, interpolation etc. I dont
have any religious convition about it though :)

> Yes, I like all these, at least as the semantic types.  As you say
> below,  they can share the same binary reps in most cases, but I like
> keeping the semantics separated at the parameter spec level.  Better
> clarity for users.

Is that what you mean by this, more or less?

> >Int parameters can be faked using float.
> >
> >Enum and bool can be faked using int.
>
> Yep..

Or float.

> >So that leaves my NEED list at float/real/sample_type + string + blob.  Are
> >there good reasons to turn anything else into fundamental primitives?
> >Perhaps int - can anyone justify it?
>
> Yeah, to avoid unnecessary conversions.  I mean, by that logic, since
> you can encode any int or float/double number as a (long enough)
> sequence of ASCII characters, so why use anything other than string?

Conversions aren't really an issue. Often your working with boolean types
in a floating point context anyway, eg.

out = monitor_a * a + b;

where monitor_a is a boolean hinted float.