[gmpi] Re: 3.17 Instruments

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:51:35 -0700

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:22:57AM -0400, gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Instrument voice allocation -- preallocated, or dynamically allocated
> (best)?

yes, this could use more meat.

> Voice control -- per voice, or per instrument, or both (best)?

Do we need more requirements on this, or are you concerned with spec
details?

> Fixed set of performance-time parameters, or variable set?

? Explain, please?

> Precision and units of parameters (especially pitch, time, and loudness),
> also whether and how they vary over time. The more the set of parameters
> form a linear space, the better. Also, how closely this follows MIDI
> semantics.

Do you have requirements for these?

> Tuning systems -- present or not, if so, how implemented.

A can of worms, but important.  Are we going to touch this in GMPI?

> Wavetable synthesis -- is there a pool of shared wavetables, or does each
> instance have its own tables?

err, correct me if I am wrong, but sharing data between instances is
pretty straight forward, and is the plugin's job.  Are you suggesting that
GMPI hosts should have wave-tables to share between plugins?

> Sub-instruments -- can an instrument contain its own pool of various types
> of instruments?

Explain more?  Do you mean a wrapper?

> "Throttling" and "reduced precision" for control of CPU load -- present or
> not, if so how done?

Potential candidate for a well-known control.  If a plugin exposes a
PRECISION parameter, the host can use it.  Is this a requirement?

> I will try to come up with some use cases for instruments dealing with some
> of these issues.

Excellent.