[gmpi] Re: 3.17 Instruments

  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:19:20 -0400

One use case would be simulating a violin stroke, where the player begins
to bow on one stop, then lifts a finger to another stop, so that the pitch
changes while the loudness and envelope remain the same (mostly). Legato,
yes. But there are many kinds of legato, and more can be invented with
software.

The basic requirement is that the "tie" instruct an instrument to change
pitch without re-initializing the instrument or performing a new attack.
More power would come from the ability to select which steps of
initialization to perform or not to perform in a tied note.