[gmpi] Re: 3.17 Instruments

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:19:36 -0700

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 09:34:51AM +1200, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> >  If pitch is a
> > continuous control that is active per-voice....
> > Does that give you what you want?
>
> I am hoping GMPI will explicity allow this.  Something similar (in
> functionality) to the MIDI tuning standard, which allows real-time pitch
> change of individual notes.
>   MIDI does this via sysex, however sysex support is patchy at best in
> current soft-synths. We can encourage wider support by making this function
> a standard GMPI event.

Not all instruments want to support pitch bending like that, I suspect.
Why should this be a first-order event as opposed to just another example
of how flexible GMPI is.

We can standardize the PITCH control so that all instruments can act
similarly, but we don't need to make it anything more than a (completely
optional) parameter.
I think...