[GeoStL] Re: National Forest also needs to be clairified-the 3 finders did not bookmark a cache in a NF-RE: Re: Island cache!

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 16:18:34 -0600

-
Just want to clarify that I do not think anyone was trying to pull a fast
one on the challenge.  What the finders did is a very common mistake.  When
you talk to people about National Forests, you find most people see what
most maps show and think it is all government owned and protected.  Neither
is the case.  In fact, many people think they are National Parks.

Another complicating factor is National Forests can acquire a percentage of
land outside the purchase boundary. I am not aware of any in the Mark Twain
NF, but Shawnee has been purchasing land in the Mississippi floodplain
outside the purchase boundary.  So if you go by the purchase boundary (which
if you do, the rules would need to be changed), not all the National Forest
is in the purchase boundary.  And there is not much of a challenge to find a
cache in the purchase boundary-there are hundreds of caches in cities in the
purchase boundaries.  Finding one actually in a National Forest is much more
of a challenge.

Besides my maps (which are the easiest way to determine if it is in a NF)
and the 24K Quads with the NF marked, you can download Forest Plan maps that
have the NF marked.  You can also purchase paper maps at Forest Service
offices with the correct boundaries (Shawnee has one for the entire Forest
and the Mark Twain has the maps by Ranger District).  So there are many ways
to determine if a cache is in a NF.  You just cannot rely on sources like
Google Maps.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

from this