[GeoStL] Re: National Forest also needs to be clairified-the 3 finders did not bookmark a cache in a NF-RE: Re: Island cache!

  • From: Andrew Senger <asenger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 07:58:02 -0600

-
Jason,

Getting help isn't the issue. If I can't get started on a puzzle, a
nudge is great; I've received it many time, and I've given it many
times. I don't even mind a "spoiler" answer ("look at your phone", for
example). However, to simply get the final coordinates, without doing
any work, is against the spirit of the game. In fact, geocaching.com
states ( http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx ): " Mystery
or Puzzle Caches - The "catch-all" of cache types, this form of cache
can involve complicated puzzles you will first need to solve to
determine the coordinates." Notice "you...need to solve."

If you feel it's justified to give away the final coordinates, that's
okay -- play how you want. However, as a cacher who enjoys placing
puzzle caches, I hate knowing that people are finding the caches
without doing any work. It's a cheap way to expand your numbers, and
it's against the standard idea of how the game is played.

Andrew Senger
asenger@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.yawetag.net
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. He's also
postmaster and probably traffic cop, too. All the jobs for sports
referees are probably filled, though." --Lemel Hebert-Williams

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 7:07 AM, Jason Collier <jcollier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> -
> Getting the answers to puzzles that are difficult is not an issue with
> me, personally.  And especially don't mind in the case of myotis who
> provides the free trail maps which have saved me hours and, I'm sure,
> much tick removal time.
>
> Some people don't like the puzzles and shouldn't be kept from visiting
> the places where the final resides just because they don't know how to
> solve it.  Just my humble opinion.  :)
>
> FWIW, I do give the puzzles the old college try but if I just can't
> figure it out, I'll ask for help.
>
> Jason Collier
> C3GPS.com
> 314-623-0263