[GeoStL] Re: National Forest also needs to be clairified-the 3 finders did not bookmark a cache in a NF-RE: Re: Island cache!

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 12:49:29 -0600

-
Andrew,

On the wheelchair issue, of course not.  The issue is not making caches so
everyone can find them.  The issue for me is as you previously said the
spirit of Geocaching.  The spirit of Geocaching from the start was finding
something with your GPS.  What does solving a puzzle have to do with what
Geocaching was started to be?

Geocaching has never been a democracy.  Geocaching is not a free for all.
There are rules.  Gc.com makes the rules and we have to live with them.
Some I have agreed with.  Locationless caches were getting away from the
spirit of Geocaching. It got so bad, you could get a find by finding a
yellow jeep.  So they got rid of them. Some rules I don't like.  I hope they
will ban puzzle caches or spin them off to something like waypointing.

When the nearest 25 unfound caches to me were all puzzles that had nothing
to do with caching or navigation, I started getting answers to them and
wanting them banned.  If I could have gotten the final by taking a hike
somewhere to find a container with the answer, I would have (i.e., have two
methods: figure out the puzzle or take a hike).  What turned me off to them
was the area was getting flooded with puzzles that had nothing to do with
caching or navigation.

Yes some people enjoy puzzles.  But I do not think that is a good reason to
have a cache that requires a puzzle to solve.  Some people enjoy hunting.
What if we get 100 caches in the area that requires you to kill certain
kinds of animals to find it?  Some people enjoy flying.  What if we got 100
caches in the area that you had to fly to a certain designation before you
could find the cache?  There are all kinds of things that have nothing to do
with Geocaching or even navigation that someone could set a requirement to
do before finding a cache.  That is not what Geocaching was started for.
That is why I do not think they should be allowed.

While it saves you time, getting the answers to a puzzle cache is getting
help on something that has nothing to do with what Geocaching started as:
finding something with your GPS.  While I have no problem with PAF or group
hunts, they save you time on finding something with your GPS.  The way I
look at it, if PAF and group finding is OK, so is puzzle answer sharing.
This is what Geocaching has evolved to-I liked it better the way it used to
be.  SLAGA used to have group hunts on a regular basis.  While sometimes you
really had to help someone, generally the cache was not removed until
everyone found it.  But those were the old days.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

from this