[GeoStL] Re: NGR: Conceal and Carry

  • From: "RNX" <_rnx_@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 22:17:06 -0400

-
The point i was trying to make is that we are not a live and let live society.
The comment, "we would never impose our views on them but for
some misguided reason they feel they have the right to impose their views on
us" rings of hypocrisy. I listed a few instances where society (perhaps
misguided perhaps not) feels the right to impose.

I support the right to bear arms but the right to conceal and carry is not
protected by the constitution. Put your gun in your gun rack, hold it in your
arms, sling it from your saddle, or wear it on your hip so I can see it. I
want to know on whom I need to keep a weather eye.

I believe that smoking is a health hazard and smokers should be considerate.
Smokers should avoid smoking in high traffic areas. Does that mean that all
public places should be non-smoking? Butts are litter and first and second
hand smoke is hazardous but do we cross the line when we tell business owners
that they must prohibit smoking? Wouldn't the free market take care of that.
Don't patronize an establishment that allows smoking if you find it offensive.
If enough people join your boycott then the business will fail.

Legalize and tax soft drugs. Prohibition has proven not to work and is only
filling our prisons, emptying our coffers, and funding organized crime. Gone
are the days of reefer madness. A move away from hysteria and a return to
sanity would be refreshing.

Marriage is a religious institution. Separation of church and state would
appear to prohibit government sanctioned marriage or protecting one vision of
marriage to fit the needs of the conservative religious majority. Special
consideration and privileges for government sanctioned marriages are a thinly
veiled institutionalized discrimination against all the non-conventional
citizens of this country.

Referring to the unalienable rights of Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of
Happiness noted in the United States Declaration of Independence,  Supreme
Court Justice Warren wrote the following in his opinion of  Loving v.
Virginia, "The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital
personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men."

I appologize in advance for the rant. I am only holding up a mirror so that we
all can see ourselves a little bit better.