[GeoStL] Re: Legal Thread

  • From: "Andrew Senger" <asenger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:52:35 -0500

The TOU *is* a part of the cache description.  It's written on every cache
page.  I don't have access to the Internet right now, so I can't give you a
direct quote, but it's similar to "By participating in this activity, you agree
to be bound by Groundspeak's Terms of Use" with a link to the ToU.

Before doing something dangerous or life-threatening, such as sky diving or
bungee jumping, you sign a contract.  The contract states that the company
isn't liable for any damages incurred while performing the activity.  However,
any lawyer will tell you that if the company was negligent in their duties
(didn't pack the chute correctly or the bungee cord broke) the contract does
nothing to prevent them from the injuries.

I would think that a lawsuit against a cache placer to hold, the cache seeker
would have to prove that the hider was negligent in their duties as a cache
placer.  I agree that if the seek involves rough terrain or obvious dangers, it
should be noted.  However, no one can foresee everything.  Should the placer
state that wild animals may be present or that there's a 100' drop-off a
half-mile from the cache?

Andrew (yawetag)