[GeoStL] Re: Legal Thread

  • From: "Bob TheCacher" <cachefinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 07:39:36 -0500

-
This is an interesting topic. A legal council here at work stated to me that the cache placer is liable for injuries while hunting the cache IF the cache placer does not disclose such undo threats in seeking the cache. A simple walk through a park and finding a cache at the base of a tree or hanging from a limb does not contain an "undo threat". However a close by rock ledge or placing a cache near an embankment next to some water does. This type of disclosure SHOULD be stated in the cache page to warn the seeker of a potential hazardous situation. So if you have a cache that may have an "undo threat" in seeking the cache (or waypoint) please state so in your cache page, just to be sure your covered. As always, if you don't think your cache is child friendly, please state so in your cache page listing.

A good example of an "undo threat" cache page is The Knife Edge, GC11GWB. He explaines the potential dangers of getting to this cache. You may want to follow a similar suit if you have such a cache.
BBD1

From: Skyler Dragon <skylerdragon@xxxxxxxxx>
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [GeoStL] Legal Thread
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 05:16:15 -0700 (PDT)

-
I stumbled on an interesting discussion about
liability in the groundspeak forums.  (thread#168699)
This discussion was in the general geocaching forums
and not in the Moga or SLAGA sections.

I posted to the MoGA forum a comment about the
discussion.  I thought I'd post here too since this
seems more active.

General discussion in the thread suggests that cache
owners are liable for injuries that occur to people
seeking their caches.  The general discussion also
states that the liability clause only protects
groundspeak from suit if something happens.

I had a few questions about this since I'm mostly
ignorant about law.

1.  Are cache placers liable if someone gets hurt
seeking a cache?

2.  Do we have any SLAGA members knowledgable on legal
matters?

3.  Has there been any interest in SLAGA to invite
historians, lawyers or politicians for training/or
workshops and classes?  I know I'd like to hear from a
lawyer about this and I love attending workshops about
local history and such.

  PLEASE NOTE:  I am not trying to start trouble, I am
just curious.  I have not been injured seeking a
cache.  I just saw the discussion and thought it would
be interesting to discuss.

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Skylerdragon