[GeoStL] Re: Legal Thread

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:21:37 -0500

-
Yep, in a big ole box with a warning symbol of some sort and a link to the ToU..
Geocaching Disclaimer

Geocaching.com is owned and operated by Groundspeak Inc. Information in the Geocaching.com database is updated regularly. Neither Groundspeak Inc., nor any agent, officer, employee or volunteer administrator of Groundspeak Inc. warrants the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of any information and shall not be liable for any losses caused by such reliance on the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of such information. While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of this information, portions may be incorrect or not current. Any person or entity that relies on information obtained from Geocaching.com does so at his or her own risk.

Geocaching, hiking, backpacking and other outdoor activities involve risk to both persons and property. There are many variables including, but not limited to, weather, fitness level, terrain features and outdoor experience, that must be considered prior to seeking or placing a Cache. Be prepared for your journey and be sure to check the current weather and conditions before heading outdoors. Always exercise common sense and caution.

In no way shall Groundspeak Inc. nor any agent, officer, employee or volunteer administrator of Groundspeak Inc., be liable for any direct, indirect, punitive, or consequential damages arising out of, or in any way connected with the use of this website or use of the information contained within.

     Cache seekers assume all risks involved in seeking a cache.

This website is for personal and non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, excerpt, distribute, transmit, publish, license, create derivative works from, or sell any information, or services obtained from this website.

Other products and companies referred to herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies or mark holders.

Groundspeak Inc. reserves the right to change the terms, conditions, and notices under which this website is offered.

The TOU *is* a part of the cache description. It's written on every cache page. I don't have access to the Internet right now, so I can't give you a direct quote, but it's similar to "By participating in this activity, you agree to be bound by Groundspeak's Terms of Use" with a link to the ToU. Before doing something dangerous or life-threatening, such as sky diving or bungee jumping, you sign a contract. The contract states that the company isn't liable for any damages incurred while performing the activity. However, any lawyer will tell you that if the company was negligent in their duties (didn't pack the chute correctly or the bungee cord broke) the contract does nothing to prevent them from the injuries. I would think that a lawsuit against a cache placer to hold, the cache seeker would have to prove that the hider was negligent in their duties as a cache placer. I agree that if the seek involves rough terrain or obvious dangers, it should be noted. However, no one can foresee everything. Should the placer state that wild animals may be present or that there's a 100' drop-off a half-mile from the cache? Andrew (yawetag)