[GeoStL] Re: Legal Thread

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:28:33 -0500

- Yes, but that disclaimer is for Groundspeak. I am talking a disclaimer for the hider. When you agree to those terms, it applies to Groudspeak only. The hider cannot piggy back on that agreement and would be a third party. I am talking about the the hider making a similar statement for his/her/their protection.

Andrew Senger wrote:
The TOU *is* a part of the cache description.  It's written on every cache page.  I don't have access to the Internet right now, so I can't give you a direct quote, but it's similar to "By participating in this activity, you agree to be bound by Groundspeak's Terms of Use" with a link to the ToU.

Before doing something dangerous or life-threatening, such as sky diving or bungee jumping, you sign a contract.  The contract states that the company isn't liable for any damages incurred while performing the activity.  However, any lawyer will tell you that if the company was negligent in their duties (didn't pack the chute correctly or the bungee cord broke) the contract does nothing to prevent them from the injuries.

I would think that a lawsuit against a cache placer to hold, the cache seeker would have to prove that the hider was negligent in their duties as a cache placer.  I agree that if the seek involves rough terrain or obvious dangers, it should be noted.  However, no one can foresee everything.  Should the placer state that wild animals may be present or that there's a 100' drop-off a half-mile from the cache?

Andrew (yawetag)