[GeoStL] Re: Bogus MOGA logs-I have to admit, you had a good point

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:14:15 -0500

-
First a poll:

Who has claimed finds of caches you did not find as a reward for helping at
an event besides MOGA?  Has anyone ever claimed a find for placing a nonMOGA
cache?

We have had poker runs at many SLAGA events where containers are hidden with
poker chips and then you find the container with your GPS.  Like the punch
finding, it was a contest and you got awards and prizes.  Has anyone felt
this entitled you to go claim a find on a cache you did not find for each
container you found?  I know finding the punches would generally be harder
than finding the poker chips, but the issue is not difficulty, the issue is
claiming a find on a cache you did not find in exchange for finding
something else.

Now to Mike Lusicis message.  What happens when someone who says something
that does not worship numbers, you can count on the gang to attack the
messenger and ignore the issue.  Take a look at the discussion about the
sanctioned cheating at MOGA on the forums.  The comments have been
overwhelmingly disgust.  Here is a recent post on the forum:

"I was at MOGA and cachers logging caches they didn't find definitely
annoyed and effected me. I wouldn't have wasted my time trying the "kayak"
one but I looked at the log ahead of time and several people found it
without mentioning an issue so we drove to it but quickly realized it was
next to impossible to find. At the time I was amazed at how dedicated
cachers were to brave the water. Now I realize they were just lazy
cheaters."

I already forwarded one message from another person who indicated they will
likely not come back because of this.  I've been getting all kinds of
private messages thanking me for standing up to those on this list.  Here is
part of a message I just got:

"I remember a while back when they were looking for volunteers at moga.
They said "if you volunteer to hide punches/caches, can you still claim a
find on them?  Yes!  You can!"  I remember thinking, huh?  How can you claim
a find on something that you hid?  It didn't make sense to me.  Now that
you've shown light on the situation, both on the freelist and over at the
gc.com forums, it all makes sense.  Thanks.  I'm a cacher who has basically
given up on caching."

I am sure some on this list are cheering that this person gave up on
caching.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

from this