[GeoStL] Bogus MOGA logs-I have to admit, you had a good point

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 14:20:05 -0500

From: geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nathan Rover
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 2:31 PM
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: E.T. Power Trail in Nevada has been archived

I know of quite a few people who never signed the physical log yet have
logged a find on the cache and it's condoned by MOGA staff. This list
includes competitors, volunteers, staff, cache hiders and punch hiders. I
don't have a problem with it, it makes sense to me, and GASP I'm one of
them! I'm just surprised that you haven't called them out on this policy.

-Nathan
(NateDawgCC)

I pointed out your lack of consistency the other day.  After what I found
yesterday, I feel a need to be consistent.  Besides the cheating was utterly
appalling.

My GPS was pointed about 100 feet out in the water (the lake is up from when
the caches were hid) for the second cache I went too.  That sounded like a
fun challenge to attempt-particularly since I had on quick dry cloths and
sandals.  So I headed out for the cache and all was going well until the
waves started rolling in and I was wet up to my waste.  The waves were
getting higher and the water was COLD so I turned back before I got to the
cache.  Since I wimped out, I had to go with a DNF.  Then I found multiple
cachers have claimed the cache with the blessing of MOGA staff for either
hiding caches, hiding punches, or finding a punch miles away.

Since when does hiding a cache or a punch entitle you to claim a find?  This
is outright cheating.  Not too long ago Mr. President called out a cacher on
this list who appeared to be claiming finds of MOGA caches without actually
finding them.  General outrage was expressed on the list.   I see no
difference in the way the caches are being claimed.  I hid some of the MOGA
caches and no one said this entitled us to claim a find-if they had, I would
have objected.  So I guess it is just certain cache/punch hiders are
privileged.    Yesterday I found a cache I hid and then remembered it was
one I hid.  I did not claim it as a find as that would be cheating.  I've
hidden multiple caches that required a 20 mile backpack to get to the spot.
But I never felt that entitled me to claim a find.  So if someone thinks a
cache is too hard, can they go drop a film canister under a Walmart lamppost
and then go claim the hard  cache as a reward for placing a lamppost cache?
If they cannot, what's the difference?  Since I don't like lame caches, can
I go claim all the lame caches (this will stop them from showing up in PQs)
as a reward for all the caches I have hidden?

How about a new freelist wars cache called "I'm special?"  Then instead of
placing bogus logs on hard to do caches, anyone who thinks something they
did entitles them to claim some finds, they can log I'm special over and
over again until they think they have all the finds they deserve.

I hope MOGA staff has the integrity to do their duty to delete the bogus
finds of those who think they deserve a find for hiding a cache or punch.

I never liked the way cachers could claim a cache for finding a punch
nowhere near the cache.  If people want to compete in finding punches,
great.  But if you want to claim caches, the competition should be finding
caches, not punches.  What's the difference in getting to claim caches you
did not find as a reward for finding punches and SLAGA sponsoring a
basketball tournament that allows team members to claim a cache for each
point the team scores?  Back in the day, we had event caches and people
logged them.  While you had to actually find and sign the log to claim the
find, that practice was outlawed.

I think it went way over the line this year.  In the past the punches were
in the same general area so you could argue it was a comparable challenge.
Not so this year.  This year the punches were in the state park which is
less hilly than where the caches are hidden.  More importantly, the state
does an exponentially better job dealing with the invassives.  It is much
easier and fun to get through the woods in the state park than the
invvassive jungles many of the caches are hidden in.  One of the first
caches I found yesterday was about 200 feet back in an invasive (Russian
olive/bush honey suckle) jungle.  The invassives had greened up so I could
not see how to get back out and I got turned around-I had to use my magnetic
compass to fight my way back out.  When I was hiding caches one of the cords
to hide a cache was about 500 feet back into an invasive jungle.  I thought
it was cruel to make people go back there and wanted to hide it in a spot
with easy access to the bike trail.  My hiding partner overruled me and hid
it back there on her own.  I have hiked and biked extensively in the state
park and I have never seen invassives as bad as these two spots and many
other places with caches  I passed by yesterday.

If an easier and more pleasant way (i.e., finding the punches) is going to
be provided to claim a find, why should not this method be open to all
cachers at no cost and as long as the cache is active?

I find it ironic that while the rules and generally accepted practices of
Geocaching are ignored, the competition rules call for disqualification if
MOGA's rules are violated.