[GeoStL] Re: Bogus MOGA logs-I have to admit, you had a good point

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 10:58:56 -0500

-
Chad,
Jim is who he is, and when he shows up and stirs the pot, he is just being himself. I have kids in my scout troop who are like that. It is part of what makes the world a great place because everyone brings something different into the mix.

If everyone would ignore him and not respond to the posts he might actually slack off when he sees no response. But like the kids, sometimes the subject is irrelevant. Statements are made just to get a response, not because of any particular attachment to the subject of the message. Now, I do think that Jim really feels this way, but I also think he likes the attention. After all, almost every time we get into one of these "discussions" he rolls out his credentials and past accomplishments. I mean, if you cannot get notoriety with numbers any more, then you have to find some kind of alternative to "strut your stuff". So I look upon the whole exercise in amusement. The instigators who start the ball rolling, and the people who cannot stop themselves from fanning the flames. It is all part of the First Amendment freedom of speech that makes the country great. Although there are those in DC that would throw away the Constitution and every one of the amendments at this point, so we need to cherish this freedom, no matter how inane the content is.

And the crowd that comments and then say they are dropping off the list.... OK. Again, it is their choice and I would not dream of denying them their choice. But it once again reminds me of the boys. If you don't play like I want, I am going to go home, and don't bother trying to talk me out of it because I am going to hum to myself so I don't hear you talk to me when I leave. Like anyone really does want to talk to someone like that.

I realize that there are people who cannot contain their emotions are really do need to leave for their emotional health, so not everyone who leaves is a control freak who needs to leave the place they cannot exercise control in, so I don't wish to paint everyone with that same brush.

But there is one thing that I would like to say that I have not heard mentioned before. I have been on MOGA staff, and I recall that the "rules" were different under the former leadership. Now, I have to say that I don't have written documentation on this, but I seem to recall that if you hid a cache or punch for MOGA, that you could not count it. If you picked up a punch, you could count it, even though you didn't sign a log. I don't think that is a violation of any rule even if you never sign the log. So I do think that there are exceptions that the cache owner can make that are not aligned with the "rule" of signing the log. Like if the caches has been plundered and there is no log, or the log is wet and cannot be signed without destroying it.

Anyway, I realize that there is a need to attract and keep volunteers for the event. I am not sure that saying people can claim finds for any MOGA cache in exchange for volunteering is the best idea I ever heard, but I can see some logic in it. Because of what they are doing, they may be prevented from actually going out and finding and logging some of the caches for the event, and because of the distance from home, may never actually go back and find any of the permanent caches placed for the event as well. Does this constitute going too far away from the intent of the "game"? I think it may, but that is my opinion. Did you know there used to be a cache that allowed you to go to a web site? It had a simulated GPS and you cold follow it to the cartoon cache. Once found you could log it as a find on GC.com. Is that cheating? I think so. You get a find for never leaving you computer.

So in the end, it IS just a game. But like the one log mentioned, it is a form of twisting the rules if not out right cheating, and the logger was disappointed in MOGA because of it. I do feel that the system should change so that it should be a better representative of the true philosophy of the game even though it would be easier and a perk for volunteering for the event. It would be nice if there were enough altruistic volunteers to handle the event without needing to dangle such a perk to get people, but I don't really know the situation. I would loved to have helped this year again, but I have too much going on in my life right now to participate in much of anything.

End of ramble. I have to get back to work.

Everybody: Crack a smile and get a life. Get humor out of these rants, or a little empathy or prayer for those who need it so desperately.

On 4/5/2011 9:34 AM, Chad Groharing wrote:
Hi everyone.

No one here knows me as I am very new to geocaching (16 finds to be exact) My name is Chad and I live in O'Fallon. I am writing to all of you to express concerns over what I am reading. I hope that maybe I can offer an outside perspective whether it is warranted or not.

I like that geocaching is treasure hunting with technology. It is the thrill of the hunt. Sometimes it's going out to public places with my girls or my wife and looking for something in a bush while trying not to be noticed or someone saying, "What's that guy digging in that bush for?" :-)

Many times, because I am new, I can't find the cache. My Delorme PN-40 says I'm right on top of it and I still can't find it. I will mark that as a DNF on the website and maybe in the future I will go back and try again. I see no point in marking caches that you didn't physically see or actually hunt to find. But to some people that seems to be acceptable and that's ok.

There are definitely some passionate people on this freelist and I think that's awesome! I love reading that. However, what concerns me is how much attention is paid to "the other guy." Geocaching was never intended to be a competition. It was to go out with friends and/or family and to explore the world. More than likely taking you places you would have otherwise never gone. I have never gone out looking for a cache on my own because to me I enjoy hunting with someone else. I enjoy sharing the time hunting.

I feel that this conversation and bashing of other cachers is damaging to geocaching all together. As much as I would like to, it makes me never want to go to MOGA or attend a SLAGA event. Because if this "sport" has begun to be about who can get the most caches and who is cheating, then I will just go back and enjoy it with my family. Personally, I don't care who's cheating. It does nothing to me or anyone else. They are only cheating themselves..and for what? More bragging rights? Big deal! Those who want to cheat have lost focus on what geocaching is and so be it.

In closing, again looking from the outside, I hope that we can all enjoy more productive posts. I liked how some of you look out for others by posting when rooms were taken up at such and such place in Iowa for next year's MOGA. And when someone wasn't able to make it they were kind enough to post a room available so someone else could make it. That stuff is fantastic to read! Someone needed a specific cable, or someone asked about a certain GPS unit. That is all good stuff. Not all the bashing that has been happening lately.

I know I've begun to ramble and I apologize.

Happy caching!

Chad

Missouri Geocachers Calendar --->