[elky] Monte For Sale (not mine)

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 04:42:09 -0500

Yesterday, Nate and I looked at a 1986 Monte SS that the sister of a gal I
work with has had in the garage for 6 or 8 years. The husband really doesn't
want to sell it, because he has good memories, but the wife isn't so fond of
those memories. Their son has no interest in the car at all. When I asked
him how much, he told me "I want to get 5". I said $500? he told me yes. I
get the feeling negotiation is possible from there.

Here is the scoop..... Everything is there, down to the covers for the
T-tops in the trunk. It has electric windows and locks. Wheels with centers
are there, and look to be in good shape. (Those are several hundred in parts
alone) Original silver car that was repainted burgundy, he said the 110K is
original mileage. The paint looks like chalk now. I don't know if it was
ever buffed out (he said it was not). The interior is good except for the
console lid. It has a remote passenger mirror that is operated from the
control above the rear defrost switch (never saw one before). There is rust
ahead of the drivers rear wheel, the corner is gone. Inside the wheel wells
there is rust inside the tire above the frame that will knock out to gaping
holes. The floor looks surprisingly good though. It really didn't smell too
musty for being stored that long, at least not as bad as the other parts car
I bought.

I am going to resist the temptation to buy it and part it out. I just have
no room, and even less time. The price, for what it is, is very good, and it
would be a money maker to part it out. I wish I had the fenders, the
emblems, the electric windows and locks,

If someone had 3 to 5 grand and a bunch of time, it would be a great car to
restore to it's former glory, although the reason it was parked, was because
the oil pan had a leak. It was never run low on oil, but it has been many
years since it was fired, therefore, I would bet on T top seals, and every
important engine and transmission seal, along with brakes. A 350 crate motor
would be my solution, and ditch the 305, although it's the high output
version..... why rebuild one?

This is a rare find around here. It will surely go the way of a Donkmobile
if it goes on sale to the general public.

1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net