[ebooktalk] Re: CURRENT READING

  • From: "Clare Gailans" <cgailans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 14:00:06 +0100

I think I mentioned a while back that I was very disappointed in Sophie Hannah's the Other Half Lives. Well, I was so underwhelmed that I put it aside and forgot it for several weeks, but have now finished it. It improved, but not enough. I have also just finished the Trespassers by Pam Rhodes. I must have asked for this from Calibre, and it was okay, but it annoys me when people are famous for one thing and then branch out into another such as writing, which is already so over-subscribed. Not sure that's quite the word, but you know what I mean. This was about a vicar and his family, and a relationship he got sucked into with an unhappily married woman who stepped in when the organist became ill. I thought it was going to be rather a light book, and it was in a way, but it took a very dark turn before things settled down again to a fairly optimistic outlook for most of the characters. Now I'm reading Once a Land Girl, the sequel to Land Girls, Case Histories by Kate Atkinson, both of which I'm enjoying, and Blue-Eyed Boy by Joanne Harris. I had high hopes of this, but so far it's just rather uniformly nasty. Clare