[ebooktalk] Re: Authors reading their own work.

  • From: "Elaine Harris \(Rivendell\)" <elaineharris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 16:08:02 +1000

Yes, agree about Mcgough and Dylan Thomas; don't know all of the others. One
can only wonder how Shakespeare, Milton, Wordsworth and Browning would have
sounded reading their own work.

I suspect appreciation of authors or poets reading their own material is
subjective, like the appreciation of the books per se. I know there are
divided opinions about Alan Bennett's readings of his own work; I love it
but many do not.

Perhaps the universal truth is that not all writers make good readers and
not all readers can write but the appreciation of both or either is entirely
in the mind or ear of the beholder.

Elaine