[ebooktalk] Authors reading their own work.

  • From: "Elaine Harris \(Rivendell\)" <elaineharris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 23:02:12 +1000

I am not a fan of Val Mcdermid and have never heard her speak so am not
judge.

However, my better half has heard much of both James Herriot and John Le
Carré read their own writings and was impressed by neither.

I expect Stephen Fry and Tony Robinson could manage admirably, both being
skilled actors as well as writers.

Some years ago I talked to the organizer of a poetry festival; I asked her
if poets were necessarily the best people to read their own work. The reply
was an unequivocal, "No, dear". Of course, we have all heard exceptions to
this rule but I daresay it applies equally to many an author.

Take care,

Elaine