[ebooktalk] Re: Authors reading their own work.

  • From: "Steven Bingham" <steven.bingham1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 15:20:58 +0100

Betjeman reading Summonsed by Bells is a worthwhile experience. He did
record a lot of his poems without music long before Jim Parker came along. I
am not sure that they were re-read for those musical productions just extra
spaces inserted to fit with the music.

Jon Kirkpatrick turns A Shropshire Lad into a proper song which works very
well. There is a new version on his latest album. If I remember rightly the
original was recorded in 1978 soon after the Betjeman/Parker release.

Steve