[duxuser] Re: the new uses of the slash

  • From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@xxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 00:03:19 +0100

Hi Catherine,

I'm using number signs here for illustration, and also the ASCII Braille
equivalents of slashes and whole numbers.  Which code are you using to
render 1/4!?
I mean, #1/#4 [ #a/#d ] and in my part of the world we don't use Nemeth.
[one quarter - also typed as 1/4!! - would be brailled as #1/4 (ASCII
Braille #a/d, in my experience.]
(No doubt, at some stage we'll be using some or the whole of UEBC,
wherein the slash may have to be done as dot 456ST _/  Pronunciation
rules are important, and are not the same as the hyphen slash dilemma.
The rules of braille authorities have been and aare rather arbitrary,
also meaning subjective, when you think about it all, as in, if you need
to develop your own personal shorthand braille for drafting documents.
(Well, the computer came in and made some of that redundant!)  I do read
braille, and fast.  There used to be less whole-word contractions used
in sequences, in the past.  Perhaps people are in more of a hurry these
days.