[duxuser] Re: the new uses of the slash

  • From: "Terri Pannett" <pann1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 09:53:10 -0700

I disagree.  The short-form words used in grade 2 braille are not obsolete.
When I see a letter sign in front of cd, I realize the letters are for the
abbreviation cd and not for the word could.

I don't believe in having two standards of braille, one for proficient users
and one for beginners.  ThThe standard grade for braille should be grade 2.
When people are learning braille, they will need to learn it gradually and
primers for these people should be written accordingly.  But students must
realize that standard reading material is going to be written in grade 2 and
if they want to read it, they will have to learn grade 2 braille.

Terri Pannett, Amateur Radio call sign KF6CA.  Army MARS call sign AAT9PX,
California