[duxuser] Re: the new uses of the slash

  • From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@xxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 13:20:43 +0100

I think I do see a distinction between the two per correct 'print'
usages.  To illustrate, if I write an address, say, 1-4 East Street, it
includes nos. 2 and 3 because of the hyphen.  If, however, instead I
write 1/4 East Street, the slash signifies only 1 and 4.  Thus, the dash
joins up; the slash separates.  Parent/child could thus be viewed as
standing for the two autonomous entities, where 'parent-child' signifies
between and includes the two.  (The slash is also used for 'or', where
the dash would imply 'and', in academic coinages.)  Thus it is
important - inconveniences braillewise notwithstanding - to use the
slash where it's yused in print.  I think the logic (which is not always
obeyed) points to the use of the whole word ch contraction for child
after the slash.