[duxuser] Re: entering escape codes

  • From: Steve Dresser <s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:08:22 -0400

Hi David,

Now I'll have to see how I've got things set up. Does the new DBTW control interpoint embossing with escape sequences? It works quite well, and that's one of the new features that really impresses me. I used to *HATE* having to uncheck the box *and* change my embosser settings to get non-interpoint embossing.

Steve

On Tuesday 9/14/04 16:29 David Holladay wrote:

Hi Steve:

The Duxbury philosophy is to try to accompadate our customers and their needs.

The Juliet has a command that turns off the ability to recognize or act on
escape sequences.
If you were to use that mode, and DBT always started an embossing operation
with an escape sequence, you would get garbled characters at the start of
each embossing job.

One solution is to force the customer to always turn on the recognition of
escape sequences. Our approach is to let the user say whether they want
these sequences sent out at the beginning of each embossing job. That way,
if you do have a real reason why you want to avoid escape sequences, you
can keep your embosser set up the way you like.

But as I stated in another e-mail, if you are doing brailler graphics, this
is no longer a choice. Escape sequences have to be sent.

I do not think that if you do not want escape sequences, this is an
invitation for trouble. This is a new aspect of DBT 10.5. All previous
versions of DBT asked the user to make sure that the embosser met the
conditions needed to make DBT work. Only DBT 10.5 uses escape sequences to
control page and cell dimensions, dot spacing, margins, word wrap, and
other critical parameters.

So if you indicate you do not want escape sequences, you are really making
DBT 10.5 act more like DBT 10.4.

-- David Holladay