[duxuser] Re: entering escape codes

  • From: "Dale Leavens" <dleavens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:50:53 -0400

Howard,

I have two little programmes I wrote back in the days of DOS which send some
ASCII to a printer buffer at work to switch it from the ink printer to the
VersaPoint embosser. I made a shortcut for each on the desktop so my
part-time sighted assistants can easily select one or the other. I wish I
was clever enough to make the shortcut change colour or something when
clicked so it would be obvious which was active or preferably have the
facility to insert the ASCII codes directly into a DBT template or something
so that any time emboss is activated they would automatically be sent. Maybe
some way of inserting them at the beginning of the document directly. I do
this with a text editor in DOS by inserting the characters into a Hot Dots
translated document.

In fairness, print operations in Windows don't permit it either.

The programmes were written in a compiled form of BASIC, just an LPRINT
statement terminated with a semicolon so there is no carriage return.

I don't know if they would run under XP though, haven't had occasion to try
a 16 bit application yet.