[drivingpairs] Re: New to pairs driving

  • From: Albert Seminatore <alsemus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:54:15 -0800 (PST)

Carol:
  My approach to this problem has been to go bacl to
single driving.  Make sure the "Lazy one" is well
conditioned.  I do this with long quite drives but
never really wear the one out.  Just keep building so
that it can go longer, up steeper hills and pull a
little more weight than the partner.
  If the conditioning is to quick - to much weight to
soon; to long a distance to soon - then it will revolt
and not be willing to work.  On the other hand if it
is made to be fun and gradually built up then the
"Lazy One" will be more willing to accept a load.
  Next check the shoe job.  Make sure they BOTH step
and move evenly.  A short stride against a long stride
will never correct itself.  One of them has to change
stride or you need to find a new Pal.
......................  Al

--- FreeLists Mailing List Manager
> From: "billbuk@xxxxxxxx" <billbuk@xxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:10:11 GMT
> Subject: [drivingpairs] New to pairs driving
>

> I have just started driving my two bay minis as a
> pair. I've found that the younger one tends to hang
> back and not stay up in the traces. So the older
> horse is doing all the work. The older horse is a
> seasoned driving horse but the first time he has
> done pairs driving. The younger one has only been
> driven 3 times (once alone, twice as a pair, but
> lots of ground driving).  I have been urging the
> younger one to speed up and he will for a few
> seconds but then drops back. This also means that
> his reins are looser and he doens't stay in the
> bridle. Is this a trait of younger horses? What am I
> doing wrong? The little guys are a perfect match and
> we won the Best Miniature Horse Entry at the Parade
> of Horses in the Charles Town parade on Sunday. So
> the boys work well together and look good, too. But
> I was annoyed that I had to keep after the younger
> one and it was so evident in some of the pictures
> that he was hanging back. Can this team be saved????
> HELP!!!! - carol

=====
Aspice Morgans
Albert Seminatore