[drivingpairs] Re: New to pairs driving

  • From: Robert & Linda Smith <Lrsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:01:44 -0700

Dear Carol, Bob and Beverly,

While I am no expert either, I have driven a pair for about 3 years now
and gathered a few awards and ribbons along the way.  I have been taught
that you encourage the lesser, willing to let her do it, slower horse
while slowing the work or faster horse a bit.  It does take a long time
and my old pair are still working of sharing the load.  I have another
pair that we will start in a year or so when one of them is completely
well.  I have been told that an "evener" type single tree will help a
little for balancing the load when the pair is in draft.  I have not
tried that with my pair as yet and it may be a while as we just ordered
a new pair carriage.  There are times when you might have to go back to
single driving to let the lessor horse know what it's all about.  I do
take my pair out singly quite often.  If you have time you might look
at: http://myweb.cableone.net/lrsmith/CDE.htm  where you will see the
pair I have been using for several years now.  Also look at:
http://www.minihorsecde.com  for more in depth information about driving.

All the best to you and yours,

Bob Smith, Petite Elite Miniature Horse Precision Drill Team, Prescott, AZ