[drivingpairs] Re: New to pairs driving

  • From: Beverly Means <beverlymeans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:28:04 -0800 (PST)

Please accept the following with the understanding I have very little pair
driving experience...

I just got my made pair last year about this time and they are teaching me lots
each time out...

Mine are full sister pairs...

The oldest is also the largest but not by much

The younger/smaller one lags ...

I believe its because of a life long 'order' that Dolly is the older sister
therefore the 'boss' ...

The younger one, Betsy, accepts her role in both pasture and harness... stay
away from Sister's eye...

... a resulting occurance is because Betsy lags, Dolly needs to pull Betsy
around corners, etc. so she starts rushing to get the job done, this job of
dragging Betsy girl along... and of course Betsy doesn't necessarily appreciate
being dragged so she resists ... and the pattern gets repeated over and over
unless we are going down the road ... not a situation you find in most
competitions...

So far I feel I've learned just enough to identify the problem... now I'm
trying to learn how to resolve it <VBG>

If you feel I'm overstating a pony's thought process I invite you to say so...
I'm concentrating on being a student of this whole pairs thing...

Beverly
"billbuk@xxxxxxxx" <billbuk@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have just started driving my two bay minis as a pair. I've found that the
younger one tends to hang back and not stay up in the traces. So the older
horse is doing all the work. The older horse is a seasoned driving horse but
the first time he has done pairs driving. The younger one has only been driven
3 times (once alone, twice as a pair, but lots of ground driving). I have been
urging the younger one to speed up and he will for a few seconds but then drops
back. This also means that his reins are looser and he doens't stay in the
bridle. Is this a trait of younger horses? What am I doing wrong? The little
guys are a perfect match and we won the Best Miniature Horse Entry at the
Parade of Horses in the Charles Town parade on Sunday. So the boys work well
together and look good, too. But I was annoyed that I had to keep after the
younger one and it was so evident in some of the pictures that he was hanging
back. Can this team be saved???? HELP!!!! - carol