[dokuwiki] Re: pending patches?

  • From: Anika Henke <a.c.henke@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:40:27 +0100

Anika Henke wrote:

What should be done?
a) Don't change the typography conversion at all.
b) Only change the typography conversion for languages which have some combination of the following entities for quotation marks: &ldquo;, &rdquo;, &lsquo;, &rsquo;, &bdquo;, &sbquo; (which all resemble either " or '). c) Present quotations marks in an additional or in the existing "special character" picker.

With only b) there would still be missing some quotation characters: &lsaquo;, &rsaquo; and the Chinese/Japanese ones. Maybe a combination of b) and c), adding only the missing quotation marks to the "special character" picker!?

Just sent the patch.
Now all "/'-like characters will be substituted with their equivalent quotation mark per language.
I decided on the type of quotation marks with the help of
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark%2C_non-English_usage
* http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anf%C3%BChrungszeichen
* http://acjs.net/weblog/2005/06/10/language_specific_styling_quotation_marks/ If the standard quotation mark of a language had no "/'-like characters, but the alternative had, I choose the alternative.
If any language has wrong signs, please reply here or send a patch.
And there are languages with no entries in their lang.php (eu, fo, gl, hr, id, ja, ko, no, ru, uk, vi, zh, zh-tw) defaulting to the English entries.

Additionally, ‹ and › were added to the "special character" picker.

There is still a problem with the mixture of apostrophes and singlequoteclosing. But with the different approach, the problem only persists in the Greek language (el):
“He thought ‘It‚s a man‚s world‚...„

I will file a new bug report for that ...

Anika