[dokuwiki] Re: pending patches?

  • From: Anika Henke <a.c.henke@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:58:58 +0100

Notamment.be wrote:
Anika Henke a écrit :

Notamment.be wrote:

DokuWiki already substitutes "<<" with "«", etc. (But not < with "‹".) So that would be no problem for French people. But what about the other possible language-specific combinations of "-like characters?

What should be done?
a) Don't change the typography conversion at all.
b) Only change the typography conversion for languages which have some combination of the following entities for quotation marks: &ldquo;, &rdquo;, &lsquo;, &rsquo;, &bdquo;, &sbquo; (which all resemble either " or '). c) Present quotations marks in an additional or in the existing "special character" picker.

With only b) there would still be missing some quotation characters: &lsaquo;, &rsaquo; and the Chinese/Japanese ones. Maybe a combination of b) and c), adding only the missing quotation marks to the "special character" picker!?

* It would be nice if DW provided substitutions for not-like-"/' quote, as it already does for «/»

What do you mean with "not-like-"/' quote"s?
AFAIK, there are only "/'-like quotation characters, >>/<-like characters and the Chineses/Japanese ones.

To define my meaning of the words:
"-like characters: &ldquo; &rdquo; &bdquo; (“ ” „)
'-like characters: &lsquo; &rsquo; &sbquo; (‘ ’ ‚)
non-"/'-like quotation marks: &laquo; &raquo; &lsaquo; &rsaquo; (« » ‹ ›) and the Chinese/Japanese ones
Am I missing any?

The only characters that DokuWiki is not yet already substituting are "<" and ">". Which I think would be a bit too difficult, wouldn't it? So, those will be the only quotation characters that will be added to the "special characters" picker.

I presume, the Chinese and Japanese people would enter their quotation marks directly!? Are there any Chinese or Japanese people on this list to confirm this?

* However, or every language, one should verify if that language's keyboard layout does note already provide the needed characters. (The French layout is kind of stupid and does not provide some needed characters, such as É or « or œ.)

I doubt there is any keyboard in this world which has the correct quotation marks easily accessible on them. If not even the English keyboard has them ... ;-)

* Please be careful and keep and mind that some Wikis are written in multiple languages, sometimes mixed in one page.

There are three types of possibilites to mix languages:
a) somewhere in the middle of the text
b) have whole sections translated on the same page
c) have different pages in different languages

For a): I don't think mixing quotation marks makes any sense.
To quote an example from http://joeclark.org/book/sashay/serialization/Chapter07.html#h2-2255
----
He was laying on the charm, telling me I had “a certain «je ne sais quoi»”
----
No-one would write that, right?

For b): This is difficult. How can you tell the parser that the text is in a different language? There is the "lang" plugin, but in this case that won't do. (This would work with a <q> plugin and the lang plugin and the according css, though. But that would only work for inline quotes and never for quotation marks that do not belong to a quotation.)

For c): I think, this should automatically work. (If done eg. with this: http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:multilingual_content.)

Anika