[dokuwiki] Re: GSoC 2011 - Michael Hamann - MediaRevisions

  • From: "Kate Arzamastseva" <pshns@xxxxxxx>
  • To: HГҐkan Sandell <sandell.hakan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 18:03:47 +0300

Hi,

> could you describe how the user should work (use-case style) with the
> full screen
> media manager? Ability to upload file, what happens then?

On the overview page of all media files user can:
 - switch the namespace of viewing and uploading files,
 - watch the list of uploaded media files,
 - upload files, list of media files updates after uploading,
 - search media files,
 - go to details page (every media file in the list will have a brief
information and a link to the page of detailed information about this file).

On the details page user can:
 - see all the available information about a file,
 - change and save meta-info if it is a jpeg-file,
 - update the file by uploading it's new version,
 - view the list of revisions,
 - select two revisions and go to page of viewing differences between them.

Some sites allow the user to scale or rotate the image. We can do something
similar in Dokuwiki if it will be useful.

> You have described interaction the the recent changes page but what
> expectations
> do users have for the "page history" page?

Do you mean to show changes of media files that present on the page?
I was thinking about how to do this. One way is to find what files are present
in each revision of the page and to add to the list those revisions of the
files that were created in interval between the current and the next revision
of the page. In this case, when we display "page history" we should do the
following steps after getting of each revision of the page:
 - get it's date and date of the next revision
 - find what files present in this revision of the page
 - get revisions of these files in the interval between the dates
 - output these revisions
I think it's not very good because we need to parse each version of the page
in order to find the list of media files connected to the page. Perhaps we
can create some meta-file for logging the list of media-files attached to
the page on each revision. But we lose some information when we apply the new
version of Dokuwiki to an already existing set of documents.

> I agree with others about keeping file storage very simple but if the
> user changes
> meta data frequently without changing other file contents on a large file...

Yes, in this case we may be storing some redundant information. But if we will
keep meta data separately from meta-files we will lose simplicity and
independence of the storage.

--
Regards
Kate