[dokuwiki] Re: GSoC 2011 - Michael Hamann - MediaRevisions

  • From: "Kate Arzamastseva" <pshns@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Andreas Gohr" <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 00:25:19 +0200

Hi,

> > The current media manager is usable for uploading new files. But it's not so
> > for updating files. When you click to view file information in filemanager
> > or in wikipage - the following page opens:
> > /lib/exe/detail.php?id=start&media=chewing_gum_sidewalk.jpg
> > On this page I'll add upload form, list of revisions, diff button, etc.
>
> Images are not always linked to the detail page (?nolink option or
> when wrapping the image in a link). This page should be accessible
> from the media popup then.
>
> Or maybe we should have a full screen (as opposed to the popup) media
> manager with old revisions and a minimal popup for inserting and quick
> uploading files? It might make sense to have a look at how other Wiki
> and CMS engines handle that to have some inspiration...

At the moment I'm thinking of doing a special full-screen page to list all
of media files where you can select every single file to view its revisions
or update it. It can be something like "Media Library" in Wordpress or list of
files in mediawiki. But I think we should have a popup for inserting files on
the page because it is very useful. There can be links to the "Media Library"
or be displayed it's mini-version.

> >> Some additional questions:
> >> - do you want to include media changes in the changes view?
> >
> > Yes, as option. I'll add checkbox-filter to "recent changes" like
> > "show wiki changes, show media changes".
>
> I'd like a third option: "both". That should be default IMHO.

I agree with that. Or we can do something like this selection of
the type of activity: http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/activity

> There's one more thing we haven't talked about: diffs. As soon as we
> have revisions, we also need a way to see differences. This should be
> implemented in a way that is easily extendible by plugins. By default
> I'd only implement something for images. Github just recently added
> some pretty nifty features for image diffs:
> https://github.com/blog/817-behold-image-view-modes - I think at least
> the onion skin thingy should be easy to implement using the CSS
> opacity method. We'd also need a way to compare the image metadata
> (EXIF).

Yes, it is quite easy to implement image diffs like at Github.
I think that comparison of the image metadata can be made similar to pages.
It can be a table with a columns for metadata of each file. Different rows
will be highlighted.

Regards,
Kate